I don’t use the word perfect a whole lot when talking about my recipes. What is perfect to me about a dish may not be perfect to someone else. However, these chocolate cupcakes are damn near perfect. They have the best chocolate flavor and are super moist and light.
The frosting on top has the a good mint flavor without being too overpowering. The combination of chocolate cupcake and mint frosting make for one delicious cupcake.
When frosting these cupcakes I used this new technique where you pipe on the frosting like you normally would and then you smooth the top and sides. I loved the look it created for the cupcakes, especially when the sides are coated in mini chocolate chips. In order to create this look it is very important to have the frosting at the right consistency. Mine was a little thick and I could not smooth the tops and sides like I wanted to. I guess making cupcakes late at night when you are beyond tired and underestimating the time it would take to frost a double batch cupcakes, the frosting doesn’t end up perfect. But that doesn’t change the taste, the yummy chocolate and mint combination.
Mint Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons
all purpose flour
unsweetened cocoa powder
unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 tablespoons
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons
unsalted butter, room temperature
green icing color
mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350º F. Line 2 cupcake pans with 14 liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder and baking soda, set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the butter, sugar, oil and vanilla extract. Beat until fluffy and light in color, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add in half of the flour mixture and mix until mostly combined.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add in the milk and mix until well combined.
- Add in the remaining flour mixture and mix until well combined and smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Do not over mix.
- Divide the batter between the muffin liners, filling them about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out with a ew moist crumbs.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool in the muffin tin for about 2-3 minutes, then remove and place on a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the butter and shortening, mixing until well combined and smooth.
- Add in 2 cups powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
- Add in the vanilla and mint extract and 1 tablespoon milk, mixing until smooth.
- Add in the remaining 2 cups powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
- Add in additional milk,1 tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency is reached.
- Using a large round tip fitted to a pastry bag, pipe the frosting in an even swirl on top of the cupcakes. Using an offset spatula, smooth the top and sides of the cupcakes.
- Add some mini chocolate chips to a bowl and dip the sides of the cupcakes into the chocolate chips gently pressing so they stick to the cupcake. You can also place some mini chocolate chips into you hand and press the chocolate chips onto the sides of the cupcakes.
You need to put the chocolate chips on before the frosting sets. I worked with 1 cupcake at a time, frosting then adding the chocolate chips.
*Adapted from Life, Love and Sugar.