Cheesecake Rice Pudding
- 6 cups half and half
- 2/3 cup arborio rice
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 ounces cream cheese, cut into cubes and room temperature
semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoons powdered sugar
- In a large pot, about 3-4 quarts, add in 5 1/2 cups of half and half, rice and sugar. Over medium-high heat, bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, stirring frequently, until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed, about 40-45 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- In a medium bowl, beat the room temperature egg. Slowly add in a spoonful of the hot pudding, while whisking constantly. Continue to temper the egg with 4 more spoonfuls of hot pudding.
- Slowly pour the tempered egg mixture back into the pot, while stirring constantly. Continue to stir until completely incorporated.
- Heat the pot over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil. Remove from the heat.
- Add in the vanilla extract, remaining 1/2 cup half and half, cream cheese, cocoa powder, chocolate chips and powdered sugar. Stir until the cream cheese is melted and completely incorporated.
- Transfer the rice pudding to a large bowl and place a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of the pudding. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
The pudding can be served warm, room temperature or cold, I prefer mine cold. The pudding will keep tightly covered in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Yields 4-6 servings