Author: Suzy Karadsheh | Prep Time: 30 mins | Cook Time: 12 mins | Total Time: 42 minutes | Yield: 12 skewers
Mediterranean Grilled chicken kabobs! Chicken pieces, marinated Mediterranean-style with warm spices, garlic, citrus and excellent extra virgin olive oil, then skewered along with colorful veggies and grilled to perfection. You can grill these kabobs or broil them in the oven (broiler instruction in notes.) Be sure to watch the video above!
FOR THE CHICKEN KABOBS
2 tsp Spanish paprika
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground green cardamom
Salt and pepper
4–5 boneless skinless chicken breasts (2 lb), cut into large cubes (1 1/2-inch or so in thickness)
1 yellow onion, sliced
1/2 cup Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil
15 garlic cloves, minced
3 large limes, juice of
1 green bell pepper, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
1 red bell, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
1 red onion, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
FOR THE TAHINI
1 tahini sauce recipe
1. Make tahini sauce according to this recipe. Store in fridge until ready to use.
2. In a small bowl, combine the paprika, thyme, nutmeg, cardamom, and a generous pinch of salt and pepper to make the spice mixture portion of the marinade. Generously coat the chicken with the spices.
3. Place the chicken cubes in a deep dish with the sliced yellow onions and olive oil. Combine the minced garlic and lemon juice and add them to the chicken dish. Toss the chicken making sure it is well coated. Cover and refrigerate for 2-4 hours (Longer if you have the time. See notes)
4. A few minutes before grilling, thread the chicken cubes, green peppers, red peppers and red onion onto wood skewers (skewers must be soaked in water for at least 1 hour before using).
5. Lightly oil and heat a gas grill or griddle to medium-high heat. When ready, grill the chicken kobabs turning occasionally, for 10 to 15 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked and juices run dry (internal temperature should register 165 degrees F.)
6. Serve chicken kabobs with warm pita and tahini sauce with other bright sides and salads (see suggestions)
Cook’s Tip: If you are using bamboo or wooden skewers, be sure to soak them in plenty of water for 1 hour.
Cook’s Tips: Allow some time for marinating, 2 to 4 hours or up to 8 hours in the fridge will help the chicken soak up all the wonderful flavors as it tenderizes. But even just 1 hour of marinating will help.
Broiler Instructions: Preheat your oven broiler. Coat a sheet pan with a little oil. Arrange the skewers in a single layer on the sheet pan. Broil for 5 minutes, then flip the skewers and broil on the other side for 5 more minutes.
Leftovers? You can refrigerate leftover chicken kabobs in tight-lid containers for 3 days.