It’s rhubarb season and I’m so excited because of these rhubarb muffins, this rhubarb pie and this rhubarb jelly. I LOVE rhubarb! This recipe makes 6 large or 8 regular and they are even better the next day. If you do have any leftover they freeze well. I’m loving these tulip muffin liners, especially when you have a crumb or streusel topping. Keeps all the topping in place while they bake. I got them on Amazon, 200 for $19.99. I make a lot of muffins but 200 will last me awhile!
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup diced fresh rhubarb
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. In a large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt.
2. In a small bowl combine oil, egg, buttermilk and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
3. Fold in rhubarb and walnuts.
4. Fill greased or paper lined muffin cups two-third full. Makes 8 regular or 6 large muffins.
5. Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle on top of each muffin.
6. Bake 350 for 25 minutes for the giant muffins. (less time on the regular size muffins)