Now, about this Mushroom Soup, I have to start out by saying this soup is UGLY. You know the saying, “you eat with your eyes” and if that’s the case you might not try this soup. But, look past the ugliness and take a bite. It’s really good! It’s also healthy, there’s no cream added. The texture is creamy and chunky at the same time. In the photo that’s a pat of butter on top of the soup. At first, I didn’t think it needed it but Chrissy says to add it so I did and it did add that perfect something. I’m just saying, that girl knows what she’s doing in the kitchen. If you like mushrooms, you’ll love this soup!
*I should mention that you really need a food processor to chop the mushrooms as 3lbs is A LOT of mushrooms!
3 lbs of assorted mushrooms (roughly chopped)*see note
4 tbsp unsalted butter (plus 6 pats for serving)
1 small onion (chopped)
6 cloves of garlic (minced)
1 tbsp fresh thyme (plus more for garnish)
2 cups chicken broth (I used beef broth)*see note
salt and pepper to taste (I used 1 tsp salt and 1/4 freshly ground pepper)
- In a large soup pot (starts out big and once the mushrooms cook it will shrink down) melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and stir one more minute.
- Add your mushrooms, thyme, a teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper, stir until the mushrooms shrink down to about half of what you started with about 10 minutes.
- Add broth, and bring to a boil, then reduce and simmer for 15-20 minutes. The mushrooms should be tender and the soup thickened slightly.
- Use a blender or an immersion blender to puree about half the soup. Once smooth stir it back into the pot.
- If needed, add additional broth and salt and pepper to taste and stir.
- Serve in bowls and top each with a pat of butter and some thyme.
- If you have a food processor, use it to chop your mushrooms in batches. Make sure you pulse so not to puree. You can chop by hand but there are a LOT of mushrooms!
- I used white button, (baby bella) crimini and shiitake mushrooms.
- I used beef broth instead of chicken broth, only because I forgot to get chicken broth at the store. I’m not sure I’ll make it with the chicken broth as the beef broth was so good.
Adapted from Chrissy Teigen’s Cravings: