Barazek is a delicious Syrian cookie with sesame seeds and crushed pistachios. With its light and crisp texture, this little sweet delicacy goes perfectly with a hot drink.
FOR THE DOUGH:
3 1/2 CUP FLOUR
1 CUP GHEE
1 CUP SUGAR
1/2 CUP WATER
1/2 CUP SYRUP
FOR THE SESAME:
250 GRAMS (0.50 LBS.) ROASTED SESAME
1 TBSP SUGAR
2-3 TBSP SYRUP
2 TBSP WATER
FOR THE SYRUP:
1 CUP SUGAR
2 CUPS WATER
1/2 TSP LEMON JUICE
Preparing the Dough:
1. Using a large bowl, add flour and ghee. Using your hands, mix flour with ghee well until dough is formed.
2. Put the dough in the fridge for 20-30 minutes.
3. In a medium size bowl, add 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup water, and 1/2 cup syrup. Mix well then put aside.
4. Bring the dough from the fridge and knead a little.
5. Add water and sugar mixture to the dough. Mix well until the dough absorbs the liquid. At this stage the dough will become sticky, don’t worry.
6. Put dough in the fridge for 20-30 minutes to become firm and easy to work with.
Preparing the Sesame:
1. Using a tray, add roasted sesame, 1 tbsp sugar, and 2-3 tbsp syrup. Using your hands, gently rub the sesame with sugar and syrup until the smell of sesame appears. (See the video).
2. Add 2 tbsp of water to the sesame. Rub the sesame again for two more minutes.
3. To make sure the sesame is ready: Press the palm of the hand on sesame, if it sticks to the hand it’s OK, if it does not stick, add 1 tbsp of syrup and rub sesame.
1. Bring the dough from the fridge.
2. Sprinkle some flour on the work service.
3. Take a piece of dough and roll it using your hands, then cut it into equal small pieces. Form dough pieces into balls the size of a walnut. (See video).
4. Squeeze each ball of dough on the pistachios, to flatten them a little.
5. Turn each biscuit over and dip it in the sesame seeds mixture.
6. Place the cookies on the baking sheet with the sesame seed side up.
7. Bake in a pre-heated oven at a 160°C/320F on the middle rack for 12-15 minutes then put it on top rack to become golden in color.